Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Classroom Rules of the Future

As of now, things like cell phones and computers aren't allowed in most classrooms. I believe that on day this will change. Student are being given more and more freedom when it comes to their use of their technology. But as the barriers are lifted, we must figure out, is this a good thing or a bad thing? Kids will be kids. The students of tomorrow are still students. They will still play around, just in a different way. Imagine how people from Star Trek or something goof off, it'll probably be around twenty times worse than that. So according to Dr. Strange, some rules will have to change to fit this lifestyle.

One thing i liked that he said was, " Come to class on time, or log into your online class anytime day or night, whenever it is most convenient to you." This would be great for me, I hate having a schedule. I really do. I guess i consider myself to be spontaneous, i don't know. I t just always bothered me to have to get up and go to school everyday at the same time and do the same old same old. But we all gotta make a living and for mostly everyone, that means having to keep a pretty tight weekly time sheet. But wouldn't it be awesome to just have the whole day to just get things done if you needed to? Then you could just get whatever you needed for class when it was most convenient for you.

Another ideal of Strange's that raised an eyebrow for me was this. "Talk only when permitted, text at all other times." For me, this would lead to some problems. I'm fine with texting for small conversations and such, but i feel that today's society is being consumed by this texting phase. I am a bigger fan of video conversing, which i believe will become bigger as time goes on. It's just more personal and i like that. And also, texting can be so vague. Have you ever gotten directions from someone who was strictly a "texter"? It's ridiculous! They will get you lost faster than a dyslexic cab driver!

Dr. Strange also made a reference to sharing. I just wanted to add that i think that this is what the online teaching experience is all about. Coming up with new ideas and being able to share them and better everyone's experience by doing so. This is where the Internet made it's name.

1 comment:

  1. I also liked the "come to class on time" rule. I think it is the second most important rule next to "come to class everyday".

    ReplyDelete